Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Friday @ Thrifty Store

Image : Dreamstime
I Googled this word "Thrifty" to get multiple meanings and one of them being; Practicing or marked by the practice of thrift; wisely economical. Right, wisely economical, in my understanding it means being frugal. There are some stores which go by that name. They look cheap and not so classy. Sometime back I read an article about these stores and I was impressed by what you can get there. To be honest, nobody knows what you get there because it has got all the used and donated stuff. This stuff could be anything from decorative items to electronics. Ah!! I like the last word; “electronics”. I was feeling bored at home yesterday, as it was a Friday and had to spend all alone. So, I went to this store which is like couple of blocks away from my house.
         When I entered I felt like I got into a museum or something and felt very poor. But as I went through the aisles, I was immersed in the process of searching the unknown. When I went to the books section, it was not like in a Barnes and nobles store, where books are organized in a particular fashion. Here, psychology, history, cooking, personal development books and all other kinds are generously mixed. I had to rely on my eyes to find that gem which I might love to have. Some are 4.98, some are 3.98 and some are 1.98. After a bit of searching I found a book by Stephen covey for 1.98$ and it had some white tag. Then I went into the home décor section and I found a CD case (leather) for my car for 1.98$. Then I went to my favorite section, electronics. Believe me; it was like visiting an electronic store in 1950’s (with the help of a time machine).
          I should have taken some pictures (probably next time), but some old coffee makers, rice cookers, radios, TV’s and so on were displayed. I was fascinated by the development we had since those times. I found a 3 CD changer Stereo system with two big speakers for 12$. When I got to the check out area, the lady said “books are on discount sale” and so I got it for 1 dollar and the rest are on 40% sale. The thing to remember is, they cannot be returned once you buy. But, I was satisfied with my purchase and more so with my choice of visiting the store.
           There are many things that can be bought there, like art, shoes, clothes and so on. I would not prefer to buy any clothes or shoes but definitely will visit for books and electronics and some music CD’s. I will make it a point to visit this store regularly and surprise myself. It is much better to go here sometimes than to any regular store where we find what we expect. There was no thrill and fun in shopping anymore until I went to this place. I can’t buy everything I want here but definitely a good time pass visit.

1 comment:

  1. You are becoming a pro.......your blog's look is awesome

    ReplyDelete